ss_blog_claim=c3121b1aa4bcdd7b8a9c788df86dd531 Roselle's Sweet Escape: Oyster Awareness

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oyster Awareness

I was watching a t.v. show called “Food Heaven” in travel channel, wherein their episode is places where you can pig out. One of them was a restaurant that has a contest in eating as many oysters as you can. The guy who won ate 12 dozens of oysters. Imagine that! Anyways, this just reminded me of the time I had my first oyster. At first I thought it was nasty looking but one of my aunts talked me into eating it and to my surprise it wasn’t bad at all. It was actually pretty good. Since then I'd eat oysters every time I get the chance. But there was a point that the entire country (Phils.) got scared of eating any seafood specially mussels and oysters cause of the epidemic they called “red tide”. So I stopped eating too. I just started eating again when I got here in the States. Was influenced by one of my good friends.

What’s interesting about oysters, specially Gulf oysters is that the post-harvest processes that they go through. These are the individual quick-freezing, low heat or heat cool pasteurization and last but not the least is the high-hydrostatic pressure. According to the website BeOysterAware.com, the processes has a unique advantage the provides convenience to all customers and reduce risk for at-risk consumers. Who are these at-risk consumers? I would suggest you visit and learn more about oysters at BeOysterAware.com.




No comments: